Followers

WELCOME

Welcome to the Order of the Opus Gluei!!!

New challenges every two weeks and open to YOUR interpretation - all art forms are welcome!

Come and play with us!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Challenge #109 - Beat the Heat

Deena here...It's getting hot out in my neck of the woods...finally!  We have had a really slow start to summer, but now it is coming out in full force...supposed to be +35 C this weekend...or for my fahrenheit friends...95 degrees...but with our humidity levels it should be closer to +48 C or 118 degrees...I know to some of you, that is the norm, but for us, it is rare...we get the -35 waay more than the +35...not sure at this point which will be worse??  But if it is sunny, that is all that will matter.  Our challenge this week is to show us ways that you beat the heat...anyway goes, whether it is a page of popsicles or snow flakes, airconditioners or fans...what ever cools is hot this week, so let's see what you've got...

Here is my (Deena's) attempt at being cool:

Jana here - I am a warm weather kind of gal. I just love these hot, lazy summer days. I decided that a siesta is in order. And I need a pillow regardless of the temperature outside, so I made a crisp, cotton, strawberry covered pillowcase to snooze my little head upon. And then I crocheted a little bit of trim around the border. It's a really soft yarn. I would love to be able to tell you how wonderful it feels, but I can't pry it away from my girls' precious little mitts. Guess I'd better make some more....


Rosemary

I really don't like hot hot weather - you know, those steamy miserable days and so my coping mechanism to BEAT THE HEAT is to sit inside an air conditioned craft room and play with paper and glue.  These cards made me smile because even if I can't get to the pool or beach, I can at least stamp some cards with beachy/pool themes.  One regular card and two gatefold cards for your viewing and I had to show the interior of Ms. Bikini Bovine's card because I adore a good or bad pun!





Electra

I'm like Rosemary, not a big fan of the heat.  I grew up on the ocean, so living in this landlocked furnace right now is painful!  I was looking at some old photos of my grandmother and thought how wonderful it would be to be soaking in a lake right now.  Just floating around.
I don't know if you can read it, but there is some handwriting on one of these old photos-"in bathing suit".  It's from 1915.  At least they didn't have to worry about the ozone layer.



Gini here - I was so lucky because Spanky knew the answer to Beat the Heat straight away.
Her advice is to stay in the fridge during the day and come out to play at night when you can comfortably rush about with the wind in your fur being all windswept and dangerous.

So that's what I did, I created a night scene.
I've provided the scene but you've got to provide the windswept and dangerousness 'cos I'm too shy. *cough*
More details on my blog


Kristen

I hate the hot weather...  I think I was a penguin in a former life.  I have the air on, and the fans on.   Keep your cool everyone!


Show us how you're keeping cool.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are some fab creations girls! I'm glad that you can get to beat the heat, the heat is definitely gone over here... We have wind and rainshowers, so hopefully I can find some inspiration, lol!

Edna said...

Great challenge and beautiful projects. Thanks for letting me post my card.

Beverly G said...

Love all the samples gals, that strawberry pillow would look real good in a hammock.

1CardCreator said...

Love your "Cool" Ideas girls!

Judy Ford said...

Thanks again for the great Tag Along Prize Package. It has arrived in Michigan and the crafting wheels are turning to put it all to good use!!!!

Opus Gluei ROCKS!!!